Friday, August 07, 2009

QUIET TIME AND REFLECTION.......

I apologize for not getting this posted sooner........I want to thank ALL of you who wished me a Happy Birthday through email, snail mail, Twitter, Facebook.........YOU made my day and I Thank You SO Much!!!!!!

Thankfully the "disaster season" has been extremely quiet so far. This has given us time to have some DRT work camps getting equipment and supplies ready for the next disaster as well as cleaning and servicing tools and equipment.

This "quiet" time has also allowed me to have some special time with my 6 grandchildren whom I absolutely adore as any proud Nana would. :-) They range in ages from (almost) 1-1/2 - (almost) 7. :-) So you can understand my extreme exhaustion after having all of them together for this past week!! We had such a great time and I'm so thankful to GOD for allowing me to have this time with them. I've had some minor health issues (nothing to worry about) and as a friend of mine said.....this was a great distraction from everything. I'm now spending some "alone" time at a campground after that wonderful week. :-) I also am only about 20 minutes from my mother, who as many of you know has had some health issues in the past so this is now giving me time to be with her.

I'm beginning to realize what I've been missing...... I'm one of those "always on the go......always have hundreds of things going on at once" type of person........My body has not been allowing me to continue with that pace (for now!) ;-) and I realize it's actually a good thing to be able to sit and reflect some, which is what I've been doing this week.
As I sit and reflect over the past year.......I think of so many good things that have been done by so many people, I'm extremely proud of all who are part of the DRT as well as those who may not work directly with us but who go out into their own communities as well as disaster areas and help those in need....all in the name of JESUS. Lives are changed because of people who care.
Speaking of which.....I want those of you who worked with us in Bridge City, TX. following Hurricane Ike to know what a HUGE impact you've made in that city! We received a call to get our address because the mayor wants to invite us to the open house for the Community Center now that it is being completed. They said they really wanted us there because of the impact you all have made and everyone that comes in to the community center talks about what a difference the Church of Christ has made in Bridge City. PRAISE GOD!! Now that does the heart good!
Speaking of Bridge City....I met such wonderful people while working there! There are some I met and worked with that I miss so much it hurts.
I've also had time to think over things that didn't go quite so good, things I could have.... should have.... done differently.....things I would change if I could.....things I wouldn't do.....things I would do......things I should have said......things I shouldn't have said..... I have so many faults, we "all" do.....don't we? What if we all took some "alone time" to reflect on our lives......good...bad...indifferent? It does a body good. Of course it doesn't help if we stop with reflection.....we actually have to work on the areas that need help.....AND.....PRAY.....ALOT!! :-)
I've realized in my own life that I don't take near the time to pray that I need to.....want to. I get so busy with all the "works" I'm doing that I tend to not take the time to stop and remember why and for who I'm doing them in the first place. I can't do it....definitely can't do it right...without GOD guiding me through each step.
Have you ever noticed yourself getting into a "rut" of saying the same prayer.....like before you eat? I am determined to "Pray"......not recite....I want to talk to GOD.....I need HIM. What about you?

No comments: