Saturday, September 20, 2008

DRT IN BEAUMONT,ORANGE AND BRIDGE CITY, TEXAS


Morning devo with the DRT "staff"

Our first day of serving meals- We hadn't even gotten
a sign out yet letting people know it was available.

Our TERRIFIC kitchen staff!!! WE LOVE YOU!!

mmmmmm.......good!!!!

This is a lady in Bridge City. I talked to her for awhile.

Her house was completely flooded with over 5' of water

She has piles of memories, furniture, basically everything

she owned (now known as debris) on the curb. She is

seen here raking and cleaning her yard.

Bridge City, TX. Piles of memories.......



The lady in the picture raking her yard had 5' of water in her house. She is raking because that is something she can control. Something she can complete. She "knows" she can clean up her yard, get it finished and it will look nice. Unlike her house, that will take a very long time. We see this in every disaster. Many people have very nice looking yards and that is what they want help with. Although to some of us that may seem unimportant, to them at the time, it is the "most" important, because it can be "completed" and completed soon.


Many of us call these piles "debris" but to the owners they are memories. They are...... "were" their possessions now dwindled down to a few piles of rank smelling trash on the street. Some.....try desperately to go into their houses grab whatever furniture, possessions they can in hopes of saving them many times to no avail.

How often do "we" put our lives into our possessions? We put all of our time into earning money to buy more possessions only to have an event like Ike take them away in a matter of hours.

What we really need to be focusing on is our LORD me included, we all get into this trap. The devil grabs ahold of us and makes us think we need all of these "things" for our families. NO WE DON'T!! We NEED to spend time in the WORD and spend time with our families. Teaching our families service to the LORD by example. Possessions don't matter.

I'm saying this to myself as I type this, if you know me......you know one of the things I excel at is shopping :) (but I look for bargains!!) Does that count?? :)

3 comments:

starbrite said...

Hey, that is a good looking cook staff you ahve there. There us one that is particulary handsome I would say, my hubby "Grill Saregent Randall". It is so hard to be here in Iowa, and not be there with him and all of the team. I must say I am greatly struggling with the fact I can not be there to help out. I pray God will provide a way for me to serve with you in the future. Please tell the gang "hello" and we at Central in Cedar Rpids are praying for all of you and the work that you are doing. God bless, Linda Randall, Iowa City, Iowa and Central Church of Christ, Cedar Rapids, Iowa

starbrite said...

Hello to all of the DRT. Just a not to let you know there is one handsome "Grill Seargent" serving food out of that kitchen. All of us in Iowa, from the Cedar Rapids COC and myself, are diligently praying for the work being done there. Also want to let you know that it is sooo very hard to be here in Iowa, and not there helping out. I have been emotionally struggling with the fact that I cannot be there to assist the team in the work. I pray God will allow me to be with the DRT in the near future. Keep up the blogs, as it helps us to be in touch with the work. Again, thanks for all you do. God Bless, Linda

Laura said...

Those of us here with Randy would like to thank you for being the type of wife to encourage her husband to go ahead and be involved in the mission work even when you can't be here. Randy is an answer to our prayers. I was spending so much time in the kitchen (very long and hard hours!)that I couldn't get "my job" done. Just can't say enough about how much we appreciate him being here. However.....we are very excited about the day when you both can be here together!!! :)